Display of the development of Ukrainian scientific terminology in the beginning of 20th century at Ukrainian-Russian Dictionary by A. Nikovsky
Information about the author: Candidate of Philological Sciences, Senior Lecturer, Head of Ukrainian Language Department of National University “Lviv Polytechnic”
Title: Display of the development of Ukrainian scientific terminology in the beginning of 20th century at Ukrainian-Russian Dictionary by A. Nikovsky
Rubric: Terminography theory and practice of compiling branch dictionaries
Abstract: The article analyzes the specific features of the Ukrainian scientific terminology at the beginning of 20th century that appeared in the Ukrainian-Russian dictionary by A. Nikovsky (1926). The register of the analyzed edition exceeded the most complete at that time dictionary by B. Grinchenko about 10 thousand words. This dexicographic work reflects the strong development of the Ukrainian language at the beginning of the 20th century in the formation of the body of terminals. The article describes the most notable features of modern scientific discourse on its lexical, morphological, word-forming and spelling levels. Interesting thing on the lexical level of the modern terminology is the specific vocabulary presented in the dictionary, which in modern literary language is replaced by the borrowings. Also, A. Nikovsky’s dictionary gives a lot of specific words that disappeared from the active vocabulary due to imposing on our language lexical-word-building models that are close to Russian. On the morphological and word-formation levels we have defined five characteristic features of the Ukrainian-Russian dictionary by A. Nikovsky: significant productivity of non-affixal method of word formation; the presence of adjectives formed by other word-building models than modern language units; fixation of adjectives with the suffix “уват”, which were subsequently replaced by complicated adjectives calculated from the Russian language with the second part “подібний”; some names of persons whose specialty or type of activity in the analyzed dictionary differs in their morphological features from the modern ones; a series of nouns of the female genius presented in the form of a male language. The attention is also focused on some spelling features of the Ukrainian language in the beginning of 20th century which attracts our attention in view of the discussion of modern spelling reform. The study made it possible to outline the meaning of this dictionary for contemporary users and for current scholars.
Keywords: Ukrainian language, Ukrainian scientific terminology, Ukrainian-Russian dictionary by A. Nikovsky, term, token.
- Bulyk-Verhola, S.Z. (2002). Dialektna leksyka yak dzherelo popovnennia ukrainskoi muzychnoi terminolohii [Dialectical Vocabulary as a Source of Ukrainian Musical Terminology Enrichment]. Problemy ukrainskoi terminolohii: Visnyk natsionalnoho universytetu “Lvivska politekhnika” [Problems of Ukrainian Terminology: Bulletin of the National University of Lviv Polytechnic]. № 453, 374-378 (in Ukr.).
- Bulyk-Verkhola, S.Z., Nakonechna, H.V., Teglivets,Yu. (2014). Osnovy terminoznavstva: navchalnyi posibnyk [Fundamentals of Terminology: Educ. manual. 2nd ed., Ed. and add]. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Verkhratskyi, I. (1908). Novi znadoby do nomenkliatury i terminologii pryrodopysnoi, narodnoi, zbyrani mizh liudmy [New Needs to Nomenclature and Terminology of Natural, Folk, Collected by People]. Zbirnyk Matematychno-pryrodopysno-likarskoi sektsii [Collection of Mathematical, Natural History and Medical Section]. Issue 12. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Verkhratskyi, I. (1872). Pochatky do ulozhennia nomenkliatury i terminolohii pryrodopysnoi, narodnoi [Nomenclature and Terminology of Nature, Folk] (1872). Part 4. Lviv. (in Ukr.).
- Hrytsenko, P., Brytsyn, V. (2018). Vazhlyve dzherelo piznannia y onovlennia ukrainskoi movy [An Important Source of Knowledge and Renewing of the Ukrainian Language]. Nikovskyi A. Ukrainsko-rosiiskyi slovnyk [Nikovskyi A. Ukrainian-Russian Dictionary]. P. III-XII. (in Ukr.).
- Zakharkov,O.T., Kunch, Z.Y. (2000). Yak pravylno: katykhyzm, katekhyzm, katykhyzys, katekhizis, katekhyza? [How is it right: katykhyzm, katekhyzm, katykhyzys, katekhizis, katekhyza?]. Yedynymy ustamy. Visnyk Instytutu bohoslovskoi terminolohii ta perekladiv [Bulletin of the Institute of Theological Terminology and Translation], 4, 63-71. Lviv. (in Ukr.).
- Kubaychuk, V. (2004). Khronolohiia movnykh podii v Ukraini (zovnishnia istoriia ukrainskoi movy) [Chronology of Language Events in Ukraine (external history of the Ukrainian language)]. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Kunch, Z.Y. (2012). Do pytannia utverdzhennia termina «retoryka» v ukrainskii nautsi [To the Question of Approval of the Term Retoryka in Ukrainian Science]. Problemy ukrainskoi terminolohii. Visnyk natsionalnoho universytetu “Lvivska politekhnika” [Problems of Ukrainian terminology. Bulletin of Lviv Polytechnic National University], 733, 200-205 Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Kunch,Z.Y., Nakonechna, H.V., Mykytyuk, O.R., Bulik-Verhola, S.Z. (2018). Teoriia termina: konkretyzatsiia leksyko-semantychnykh paradyhm [Term Theory: Concretization of Lexical-Semantic Paradigms]. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Masenko, L. (2004). Mova i suspilstvo. Postkolonialnyi vymir. [Language and Society. Postcolonial Dimension]. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Nakonechna, H. (1999). Ukrainska naukovo-tekhnichna terminolohiia. Istoriia i sohodennia [Ukrainian Scientific and Technical Terminology. History and Present. Lviv] (in Ukr.).
- Nikovskyi, A. (2018). Ukrainsko-rosiiskyi slovnyk [Ukrainian-Russian Dictionary]. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Panko, T.I., Kochan, I.M., Matsyuk, H.P. (1994). Ukrainske terminoznavstvo [Ukrainian Terminology]. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Shevelyov, Y. (1998). Ukrainska mova v pershii polovyni dvadtsiatoho stolittia (1900-1941): Stan i status [Ukrainian Language in the First Half of the 20th Century (1900 – 1941): Current Condition and Status] (in Ukr.).