Language of Modern Advertising
Information about the author: Doctor of Philological Sciences, Professor of Business Linguistics Department, Kyiv National Economic University named after Vadym Hetman
Title: Language of Modern Advertising
Rubric: Terminology of Social and Economic Sciences
Abstract: Professional language is a universal tool of specialists’ communication. Every professional language has its specificity at different levels. They are terminology, genre features of texts, ethics of professional communication etc. However, none of these languages can be an antagonist of literary language.
Violation of the standards of literary language, intellectual imbalance between the advertiser’s IQ and the consumer, the existence of negative connotations and emotions, failure to reach advertiser’s intentions; unsuccessful linguistic design of advertising product, violation of ethics of communication with the client; failed branding; inappropriate neologisms; wrong semantics towards words of foreign origin, famous to place names, onyms, dubious creativity are typical features of language.
The specialist in language of advertising (“lingvoreklamist”) is an expert in the language of copywriting. His professional occupation allows not only to make professional re-branding and to find both linguistic and intellectual mistakes in an advertising text, but also to find a name for the company or institution according to their specialty. It means that he work as trouble-shooter in order to make advertising product of high quality.
Keywords: linguoreklamistics, language of modern copywriting, advertising text, advertising product, branding, re-branding, professional language, troubleshooting.
- Derpak, O. (2010). Efektyvnist reklamy i movni osobystosti [Advertising Effectiveness and Language Personalities]. Aktualni problemy ukrainskoi linhvistyky: teoriia i praktyka [Actual Problems of Ukrainian Linguistics: Theory and Practice], 8, 24-33 (in Ukr.).
- Kolesnikova, I.A. (2016). Linhvoreklamistyka: notatky pro novyi spetskurs dlia studentiv VNZ Ukrainy [Language of Modern Advertising: Notes on a New Special Course for Ukrainian University Students]. Suchasna ukrainska natsiia: mova, istoriia, kultura [Modern Ukrainian Nation: Language, History, Culture]. (pp. 100-101). Lviv: Drukarnia LNMI imeni Danyla Halytskoho (in Ukr.).
- Kolesnikova, I.A., Rykychynska, D.O. (2018). Deiaki vymohy do osobystosti suchasnoho kopiraitera [Some Requirements for the Personality of a Modern Copywriter]. Economics, Education and Law. (pp. 101-104). Burgas: Burgas Free University (in Ukr.).
- Kolesnikova, I.A. (2013). Kros-kulturnyi konflikt yak naslidok linhvalnoi pomylky (na materiali reklamnykh nazv) [Cross-cultural conflict as a consequence of lingual error (in the material of advertising titles)]. Naukovi zapysky Nizhynskoho universytetu imeni Mykoly Hoholia. Seriia “Filolohichni nauky” [Scientific Notes of Nizhyn Mykola Gogol State University. Series “Philology”]. Book 1, 14-16. Nizhyn: Nizhyn Mykola Gogol State University (in Ukr.).
- Kolesnikova, I.A. (2018). Kopiraitynh: praktykum dlia studentiv-ekonomistiv [Copywriting: Practical Course for Economics Students]. Kyiv: KNEU (in Ukr.).
- Kulishenko, L.A. (2017). Movni pomylky v reklami mista Sumy [Language Mistakes in Sumy City Advertising]. Zhurnalistska osvita v Ukraini: svitovi profesiini standarty [Journalist Education in Ukraine: World Professional Standards]. (pp. 102-106). Sumy: SumDU (in Ukr.).
- Ponomariv, O. (2009). Pro movu reklamy [About the Language of Advertising]. Retrieved from http://ponomariv-kultura-slova.wikidot.com/mova-reklamy (in Ukr.).
- Khrapovska, H. (2001). Ukrainska reklama: problemy movnoi bezhramotnosti [Ukrainian Advertising: Problems of Language Illiteracy]. Ukrainska mova ta literatura [Ukrainian Language and Literature], 8, 5-12 (in Ukr.).